THE DEFYING GRAVITY LEADERSHIP SERIES 7
The prized attributes of highly effective audit managers.
Your role as a leader and improve the performance of the audit team.
A project management framework to successfully lead any audit program.
Your communication skills and find new ways to help your team members reach their highest potential.
What are the essential skills for people management versus project management? How does the project manager’s role as applied to an auditing function differ from the every day management of a business division?
Leadership in an organization’s auditing division is far more challenging than most people realize. While external auditors come and go, internal auditors must be aware of, navigate, and maintain their personal and professional relationships in the organization each and every day. Audit managers must be highly effective at their job, finding weaknesses of the organizational systems and culture, while still maintaining high performing working relationships with their organization leaders and their audit team members. All of these dynamics must be managed while confronting findings and failures of the organization and communicating what can at times difficult information to leadership and teams on a routine basis.
This course focuses on the soft-skills development that all managers must master to maintain high performance and effective communication for themselves and their teams, as well as the successful execution of an audit from strategic and tactical standpoints. The last module of the course ties all of the leadership skills learned together with role play practice of work scenarios and real life situations coached by the trainer.
Detailed Course Content
Module 1 – Why Can’t We All Just Get Along? The 8 Essential Practices of Leaders
- The illusion of management control in the modern workplace
- The Leadership Compass: which direction do you and your team point?
- The 7 baggages that sink managers (and everyone else) in organizations
- No body nobody
- It’s your fault (and that’s a good thing!)
- The emotionally resilient manager
- The power of commitment
- Excellence over perfection – making peace with the “F” word
- What me worry?
- Swallow the frog
- What you speak you create
Module 2 – Who’s in Charge Here? The Audit Leader/Project Manager
- Standards review: the basics required as an Audit Leader
- The 10-step framework for success
- Surveying and planning memos
- Audit tools
- Audit controls and fraud prevention
- Staffing plans and work papers (Standards and Review)
- Supervising in audits
- Quality control
- Introduction to root cause analysis
Module 3 – What Did You Say? Critical Communication (Written/Verbal)
- Motivational interviewing
- Neuro-linguistic programming (NPL)
- Conflict resolution and mediation: within team and with auditees
- Team communication (pre-, during, and post-audit)
- Team performance: feedback and appraisal of leader/team
- Essential strategies for reporting findings
Module 4 – So Now What? Tying it All Together: Leadership Skills Practice
- Everyone role plays as a Leader working with a team
- Apply course skills to simulated work scenarios and real life situations
- Receive coaching from trainer and peers to gain comfort and confidence
1, 2 or 3 Day Versions in Person
Online Live with Instructor